A 10-year-old girl was lucky to survive after part of a fidget spinner ended up lodged in her throat.

Kelly Rose Joniec, from Texas, described the horrifying moment her daughter Britton swallowed a piece of one this year's 'must have' toy - and had to be rushed to hospital.

The mum wrote on Facebook: "On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving."

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth."

Kelly Rose's daughter motioned to her throat so she immediately pulled over.

Britton was trying to clean then spinner by putting part of it in her mouth, and accidentally swallowed it.

Doctors couldn't tell if the piece was in her oesophagus or her airway so she was then rushed by ambulance to Texas Children's Hospital.

An emergency operation was performed after an x-ray showed the metal piece was in her oesophagus.

Kelly Rose said: "Fortunately, we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while."

She wants to warn other parents of the dangers the toys can represent.

She added: "Not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."

Fidget spinners were initially designed as a tools for relieving stress, to help kids deal with ADHD and anxiety.

The propeller-shaped toys come in a variety of colours and contain ball bearings which allow them to spin.

You hold the gadget between your fingers, then flick it and watch it spin.

Kids compete with each other to see who can keep theirs spinning the longest or come up with the best new tricks.

he spinners are designed for those who 'can't quite keep still and need a fidget phenomenon to stop the strains and stresses whilst working'.

You can hear more about them in the video below.

Source: The Sun
Image Credit: Kelly Rose Joniec